blue.nocturne wrote:...did everyone have these same problems?
1. Processing the samples ate up a lot of time.
2. It was really hard to find a strong bass instrument this time around.
3. Samples would inspire something and then when you actually tried it, it sounded like crap.
Answers to those three:
1. I plucked the ones that I thought would work nicely, and then for the samples that contained more than one different "sound" (example: Drums.wav), I chopped them off into sections (some of which I simply used the built-in note cut functionality to chop off ends of samples, and some of which I used the built-in sample offset on my tracker). Didn't take a long time to do, because I could preview loops in real-time, and thus I could use these loop points to my advantage: have a start point in which there was silence, and have an end point that was right in the sound, and move the end point closer to the start until there was complete silence. That Schism Tracker is very good for something like that, so I don't get silent delays on really low pitches.
2. I actually found one that would be suitable for bass, and I also used some other samples for expermientation on that. Thus, the difficulty was not in finding a good bass, but in finding a good kick drum sample, since there wasn't really one defined. That was a good challenge, and I eventually found a good one. ^_^
3. Good thing I usually don't define something as sounding bad unless I really think it does sound bad. To me, "good sounding" is not using a bunch of fancy effects, but how you use them only using volume and pitch modifications. I also used filters in one of the tunes that I made.